Reign of Queen Victoria
This Section Under Construction
In June 1839 Joseph Beete Jukes a geologist working for the Newfoundland Government visited Port de Grave and Bay Roberts and wrote the following description of the area:
Continued in History 1901-1945
The community’s [Bareneed] prosperity was based on the inshore cod fishery and the good anchorage in its small, protected harbor close to prime fishing areas. The seal fishery, however, brought the greatest growth and progress to Bareneed. By 1857, six large vessels sailed to Labrador and Bareneed’s catch of 20,000 seals that year was second only to that of Brigus. Four merchant planters were listed in Hutchinson’s NewfoundlandDirectory in 1864: Benjamin Batten, Thomas Batten, Richard Hennebury and Thomas Richards In 1884, 82 Bareneed men went to Labrador and a new Church of England school was built. Richard Hennebury and Richard Newell, two planters, and Samuel Moore, a merchant. all lived in Bareneed and owned schooners. Samuel Moore’s vessel was the 72-ton Alice M, which was lost in the same area in November 1890. By 1891 the Dock was no longer listed and Bareneed had a total of 131 fishermen in residence, and six vessels were engaged in the Bank fishery (Decks Awash, 1986, Vol 15 #2)
Following from a Travelers Guide Book 1875: The steamer passes out from the rock-bound harbor and runs N. by the bold hill of Brigus Lookout (400 ft. high). Beyond Burnt Head, Bay de Grave is seen opening on the left, with several hamlets, aggregating 2,600 inhabitants. Cupids and Bareneed are the chief of these villages, the latter being on the narrow neck of land between Bay de Grave and Bay Roberts, 2 miles from Blow-me-down Head. Green Point is now rounded, and the course is laid S. W. up Bay Roberts, passing Coldeast Point on the port bow and stopping at the village of Bay Roberts (Moore’s Hotel). This place consists of one long street, with 2 churches and several wharves, and has 1,000 inhabitants, most of whom spend the summer on the Labrador coast.