In 1822 the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel appointed a Schoolmaster in Bareneed and there were 20 boys and 33 girls attending school (total population of Bareneed was approximately 350). This was one of the first schools in Conception Bay. In 1874 the population was 591 and there were 175 children in school. Bareneed, tended to have one of the strongest school systems in Conception Bay and in later years produced an above average number of school teachers. In the 1911 census for Bareneed 8 adult children were identified as teachers (likely back living with their parents in the summer months).
|Cyril Batten||Son||19||School Teacher|
|Joseph Vokey||Boarder||18||School Teacher|
|Annie Boone||Daughter||21||Teacher-C.E.B. Educ.|
|Thomas Seely||Son||21||School Teacher|
|Irene French||Daughter||23||School Teacher|
|Elsie French||Daughter||24||School Teacher|
|Mary Richards||Daughter||20||School Teacher|
In the 1935 Census there were 12 teachers.
|NEWELL||Vera M.||Daughter||21||School teacher|
|FRENCH||Winston O.||Son||22||School Teacher|
|FRENCH||Gordon M.||Son||25||School Teacher|
The number of children in Bareneed declined in the 1940s and 1950s due to out migration and an aging population (decrease in birth rates). In the mid 1950s the high school students from Bareneed started attending St Luke’s School in Port de Grave (in 1960s both Port de Grave and Bareneed high school students were bused to Bay Roberts). The United Church School (west end of Bareneed) closed in the late 1950s. The last School in Bareneed (St. Mark’s, see photo below) closed in the mid 1960s and after this a bus took the few remaining school children to Coleys Point or Bay Roberts.
The following photographs show students from Bareneed during different time periods: