My name is John Philip Newell (not the JPN who writes about Celtic Spirituality) and this Web Site presents a summary of my research into my family history. The site presents my research on the Newell family of The Dock, Bareneed, Newfoundland and my research into my family origins prior to their coming to Newfoundland (pre 1780s). This research has uncovered some very interesting stories and this site presents these stories. Unlike most family history sites that document genealogies this site will present the life stories of real people with the Newell name who may or may not be related to me. In my quest I have found that prior to 1800 the concept of a family name becomes blurred in the fog of history; therefore, my search includes people with other related family names such as: Newall, Nowell, Knowle, Neville and Noel.
My research is organized under different Tabs on the Web Site:
- The Dock Nfld Tab presents research on the Newall family of ‘The Dock’, Newfoundland;
- the My DNA Tab presents research into my DNA;
- the Other Nfld. Newells Tab has my research on other Newfoundland Newells who may or may not be related to me;
- the U.K. Newalls Tab has my research on the Newell name and related names in the U.K.;
- the Richard Newell Tab has my research on Richard Newall, a London Merchant, who visited Newfoundland in 1623.
The material under each Tab is organized into pages some of which have sub pages. For example, here is the page structure under “The Dock Nfld.” Tab:
Hovering over any item in the tree will show any sub pages. For example this Welcome Tab has a sub page with my Bio.
There is also a Blog Tab where I will provide information on any updates to the site and where you can leave comments.
The Site is still under construction so check back for updates.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any form.